Seven Stars, Dinton
By Haddenham Webteam - 13th June 2016 6:00pm
Do you have sons, daughters, relatives or friends currently studying at Uni? You may wish to draw the following to their attention.
Police are warning of a new phishing scam that has hit students of UK universities claiming that the student has been awarded an educational grant by the Department for Education. The email purports to have come from the finance department of the student's university and tricks the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.
One victim reported that after submitting their sensitive information (including name, address, date of birth, contact details, telephone provider, bank account details, student ID, National Insurance Number, driving licence number and mother's maiden name), they were taken to a spoofed website which appeared like a genuine website of their bank, where they were asked to type in their online banking login credentials.
- Do not click on any links or open attachments contained within unsolicited emails.
- Do not reply to scam emails or contact the senders in any way.
- If an email appears to have come from a person or organisation you know of but the message is unexpected or unusual, contact them directly via another method to confirm that they sent you the email.
- If you receive an email which asks you to login to an online account via a link provided in the email, instead of clicking on the link, open your browser and go directly to the company's website yourself.
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open.
If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should immediately contact your bank, and report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or visiting the ActionFraud website.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Woodlands Art Group will be holding their fourth annual exhibition in the Methodist Church in High Street over this coming weekend.The show will be open from 11.00am to 4.30pm on three days: Friday 17th August, Saturday 18th August and Sunday 19th August.Oil, acrylic, and water colour paintings will appear alongside pencil drawing and digital art. There will also be some newly honed...
Haddenham Youth FC Under-9s entered the Wycombe Futsal League back in June, which was played over three months of tournaments. Today Haddenham were crowned the winners!What makes this even more great is that the coach, Nick Cuthbert, didn't cherry pick the players, like most elite teams had. The players were selected based on attendance to Will's Futsal sessions on a Thursday. So...
Local singer-songwriter and frequent contributor to The Vibe Acoustic Cafe, Jane Stovold, has recorded a song called 'Home to Haddenham'.With musical accompaniment from her partner Brian Fattorini and Maxine Macdonald, with additional voices from members of The Vibe, and technical support from Qunit Media, Jane has published a video featuring her song.The video includes a large...