St Mary's Centre
From Bradmoor Farm
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham St Mary's School is holding a Spring Fayre this Sat (17th March). Don't let the weather put you off! They'll have marquees and gazebos, many stalls are indoors and there'll also be hot food and drinks available, including barbecue food, pizzas, hot chocolate, coffee and tea. It's the perfect way to keep your children occupied even when the sun isn't shining -...
There are currently around 450 children in care in Buckinghamshire. However 'Foster for Bucks' has only have 120 foster carers.The County Council wants to keep Bucks children in Bucks so they can stay close to friends and places and communities they are familiar with.They need your help to achieve that.Foster carers do an amazing job of giving children the care and support they need...
Do you enjoy mooching around the little nooks and crannies of Haddenham? It's a lovely pastime, especially if you have visitors and are looking to enjoy some fresh air with them while discovering the village's little thoroughfares and alleyways. The older parts of the village have many such delights.To guide you, Ken Perry's new Village Walks booklet has recently been published...