St Mary's Centre
Haddenham Tennis Club
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
As we reported earlier this year, Haddenham St Mary's CE School has linked up with Abbeyfield Residential Home in a project inspired by the Channel 4 programme 'Old People's Home For Four Year Olds'At intervals throughout the academic year, staff from the school take a small group of children to visit residents at the home in Churchway where they chat to residents and...
No doubt everyone reading this will be aware of major changes proposed for the way local government is structured in Buckinghamshire. Here are some words of explanation from Bucks County Council and an invitation to 'have your say'.It's set to be the biggest shake-up of local government in Buckinghamshire since the 1970s — and people have until Friday 25th May to give their...
Have you thought about helping run Haddenham Beavers?Would you like to do something different? Would you like to have fun running the Beaver Colony for 6-8 year olds? Beavers are the youngest members of the scouting movement. They enjoy various activities indoors and out and about.The Beaver Colony was active until 18 months ago, but unfortunately then had to close. Can you spare some...