Seven Stars, Dinton
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Woodlands Art Group will be holding their fourth annual exhibition in the Methodist Church in High Street over this coming weekend.The show will be open from 11.00am to 4.30pm on three days: Friday 17th August, Saturday 18th August and Sunday 19th August.Oil, acrylic, and water colour paintings will appear alongside pencil drawing and digital art. There will also be some newly honed...
Haddenham Youth FC Under-9s entered the Wycombe Futsal League back in June, which was played over three months of tournaments. Today Haddenham were crowned the winners!What makes this even more great is that the coach, Nick Cuthbert, didn't cherry pick the players, like most elite teams had. The players were selected based on attendance to Will's Futsal sessions on a Thursday. So...
Local singer-songwriter and frequent contributor to The Vibe Acoustic Cafe, Jane Stovold, has recorded a song called 'Home to Haddenham'.With musical accompaniment from her partner Brian Fattorini and Maxine Macdonald, with additional voices from members of The Vibe, and technical support from Qunit Media, Jane has published a video featuring her song.The video includes a large...