10A Thame Rd HP17 8EW
From Banks Park
St Mary's Church
Walter Rose Room
By Haddenham Webteam - 17th September 2014 9:00pm
On Saturday 11th October Haddenham in Transition will be running its fourth great and glorious event "Homemade in Haddenham", greater and grander than ever. If you haven't visited in previous years, you are in for a treat at Haddenham's very own local foods and crafts festival.
The event will take place in and around the Village Hall from 10am — 2pm and there will be all sorts of stalls including:
- demonstrations of crafts and food making; learn a new skill to impress all your friends and family! Cider-making, bread-making, string bag-making, jewellery-making, a talk on running a smallholding sustainably... and others
- apple pressing — bring along your apples (or pears) — and bring containers to take away your juice
- bicycle repair workshop — bring your bike, learn how to fix it, maybe even get it fixed for you (if you're lucky...!)
- all sorts of locally made crafts and produce to buy, eat and admire
- refreshments — delicious homemade bread & soup lunches, cakes, tea, coffee
- a raffle of locally produced and created items donated by all the stallholders
- and, to make it all glitter under a golden glow, a bar selling local beer and cider
Any profits from the day will go towards trying to make our community stronger and more resilient — that is, we want to try to help our village to become as self-sustaining as possible. We want to make the best use of the brilliant resources we have here, making sure they don't go to waste and saving money and the environment into the bargain! Last year, for example, we bought pasteurising equipment which we loan out to individuals and groups along with our apple press. Now your glut of apples needn't go on the compost heap; you can make and pasteurise apple juice which will keep all year, and with the huge and healthy crop that is on the trees this year, that counts for quite a lot!
If you would like to be actively involved we are looking for volunteers — can you give an hour to help with refreshments, donate a homemade cake, bread or soup? Can you help with the apple pressing, setting up or clearing away? Would you like a table to show off the crafts or food you can produce? If so, please get in touch with Alison (291553) or Kirsten (291586)
Whatever happens, come for a great day out on Saturday 11th October, from 10am-2.00pm
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
On Saturday 14th October another hardworking group of volunteers gave their time and dedication to an Autumn tidy-up at Snakemoor. Volunteer manager, Robyn Thorogood, offers this update.We were pleased to welcome Linda Fisher for her first time. Tom Bucknell kindly loaned his truck making it easier to get tools to the site and help with clearing up. Michael Whitney with his tractor and...
Haddenham Community Library was established in November 2012, in response to Buckinghamshire County Council's decision to reduce the number of County managed libraries. So this November represent's HCL's 5th Anniversary!As a way of celebrating, the library trustees, staff and volunteers are inviting residents to come along to the library to enjoy a programme of events chosen to...
Aperitif Recitals Wednesday 11th October — a revue from 'down under'As visitors from New Zealand, our stay in Haddenham is only for a few months, so we counted ourselves lucky that this period included the excellent Aperitif Recital given by the Scott Brothers Duo in the parish church of St Mary.The critically acclaimed Scott Brothers Duo, Jonathan Scott organ and Tom Scott piano...