By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Andy Coles & Damien Natale; Damien Natale & Andy Coles. However you say it, it's not possible to rationalise the events of Monday evening when the two great friends, cyclists and Sportive organisers from Haddenham both died whilst doing something they so very much enjoyed. Whether they were raising money for charity, creating and putting on events for others or just ensuring their mates had...
Haddenham Scarecrow Festival Open Monday 1st to Sunday 14th JuneTHANK YOU to everyone who has entered this year's Haddenham Association of Scouts & Guides' Scarecrow Festival. We have had a fantastic response with a record breaking 127 entries from all over Haddenham!! Our previous average has been 58 entries, with the highest number in 2018 of 71. In these very challenging times...
The end of May 2020 sees Robyn Thorogood retire after 27 years of managing Snakemoor Local Nature Reserve. Here he reflects on those years of service to the local communityIn 1993 Haddenham Parish Council (HPC) persuaded me to take on the management of Snakemoor but more about this later. Firstly, how did it all start?It was in 1987 that a few villagers visited Aylesbury Vale District...