Walter Rose Room, HVH
Wlater Rose Room, HVH
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The transfer of the lease for the Youth & Community Centre has been going through a rather protracted legal process for the last 18+ months, so that it can come under the control of the Junior School. This is unfortunate, given the modest number of good venues available for meetings and social gatherings in Haddenham. In the hope that this situation will be resolved soon, enquiries should be...
There was an unpleasant incident outside the Haddenham pharmacy on Tuesday when a man behaved aggressively towards the volunteer marshals.Writes Martin Andrew, Marshal Co-ordinator:"My shift leader had asked the man whether he had a mask as it was necessary for going into the pharmacy. He responded badly and said he would be reporting us (not sure to whom) and that we should have asked...
Looking for Xmas gifts that you can easily post? The museum 2022 calendar is on sale now in the museum and at Blooming Fruity. The theme is 'Haddenham Fifty Years Ago' and features photos taken by Peter Gulland. They cost £4 for members and £5 for others. Envelopes for posting are...