Hartwell Nurseries HP17 8RZ
St Mary's Church
Hartwell Nurseries HP17 8RZ
from Village Hall
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The 4th Haddenham Festive Trail opens today (Saturday 2nd December) when lights throughout the village will be switched on from 4pm onwards. A big thank you to all those who signed up for this year's Trail, which includes almost 40 displays. The online Trail Map is included on this webpage — see the PDF — plus a List of Displays, which includes details about the name and creator of...
On 20th November 2023, Beryl House, Aged 91, beloved mother, grandmother and great grandmother, sadly passed away at the Mandeville Grange Nursing Home in Aylesbury.Born at Lower Winchendon, Beryl married Wally in 1951 and they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 2001. They lived for a number of years in Aylesbury before moving to Churchway Haddenham in 1982, and then to Willis Road...
Haddenham Youth Football Club (HYFC) is kicking off a new initiative in 2024 to develop a community of referees to help support the local grassroots game for local children. The club is keen to sponsor potential referees through their FA qualification in return for a limited number of free match fees.Refereeing can be a hugely rewarding way of being involved in the game for those ages 15 or...