By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Here's the latest missive from Martin Tett, Leader of Buckinghamshire Council, dated 19th January 2021:The COVID-19 vaccine programme has gathered pace since I last wrote and I wanted to update you on the latest news:Nearly 20,000 Bucks residents have now received their COVID-19 vaccineAll Buckinghamshire residents aged 80 and above will be offered a vaccine appointment through...
Dr Howcutt is doing an excellent job keeping us all up-to-date with the latest Covid Vaccination News. Here's his latest communication, dated Tuesday 19th January 2021:As part of our ongoing efforts to get our patients vaccinated as soon as possible, we are working closely with practices across Buckinghamshire. You may therefore get an invitation to go to another vaccine hub to receive...
Buckinghamshire Council and Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service are calling on residents to recycle small electrical devices and batteries safely in order to prevent fires. This advice follows an incident on Monday morning (18th January) in Padbury where a fire broke out on board one of Buckinghamshire Council's waste vehicles.The cause of the fire, which was quickly responded to by both...