Bernard Hall Cuddington
Bernard Hall Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham St Mary's CE school are going to be celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a special week at school next week (23rd-26th May). The week is going to culminate in a 1950's Tea Party on the Thursday afternoon where children will celebrate with their parents. We would love to invite anyone local who has a vintage car to bring their car along on the afternoon of the...
On Thursday 5th May, after a two year hiatus, an "Aperitif Recital" was held at St Marys Church.The recital was given by James Orford, organist at Eton College, assistant director of music at St Pauls' Church Knightsbridge and former organist at Westminster Cathedral.He delighted the audience with music by Duruflé, Vivaldi and others. James delivered a fantastic performance...
Haddenham's first 10K road and fieldpath race took place on Sunday 8th May, organised by the PTAs of the three village schools to raise funds for their respective schools.A very well organised event had its start and finish at Haddenham Community Junior School, with a group warm-up hosted by folks from Fitlife gym.Despite the additonal challenges faced by runners in negoitiating styles...