WRR in VH
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham & District Age Concern is hosting another of its very popular Quiz Nights this Friday evening, 28th September in the village hall starting at 7.30pm. Tickets cost just £5 per head — please bring your own food and drink. The evening will include a 20-minute break so that guests can eat together. As usual there will be a super raffle and the Quiz winners will each get a...
The newly widened and surfaced Green Lane bridleway was officially opened on Sunday afternoon, 23rd September. Thankfully the heavy rain that had drenched Haddenham for the preceding 24 hours had abated and the event was bathed in glorious Autumn sunshine. Given that rainfall, it was all the more impressive that the bridleway was perfectly navigable on foot, bicycle, skateboard or even...
Haddenham Village Society hosted its second Community Fair on Saturday 22nd September, and a very wet afternoon did not deter several hundred visitors from pouring into the village hall to see the stands of over 50 local organisations, clubs, trusts and societies on display.Organisation of this logistically complex event represented several months of dedicated planning and detailed...