Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 26th November 2017 2:15pm
A burglary was carried out last night (Saturday 25th Nov) in Haddenham. A police investigation is ongoing.
If anyone saw anything suspicious last night between around 8.00pm-9.00pm, on the Thame side of the village, please inform the local police on 101.
The burglars gained access through the kitchen window and over the kitchen worktop. The window was prised open. Tool marks suggest they also attempted the back door but couldn't unlock it. Every room ransacked but most things haven't been taken.
A small, well hidden safe has been taken containing passports and some jewellery.
Police advice when it comes to protecting your property includes the following measures:
- Keep your perimeter fencing in good order
- Raise the height of boundary fencing with trellises
- Consider planting spikey shrubs at vulnerable access points to your garden
- Ensure that side entry gates are well maintained and locked
- Install PIR-operated security lights or better yet, all-night lighting outside (modern LED lights costs just pennies to run)
- Consider installing an alarm*
- Consider installing CCTV**
- Use mechanical or electronic timers to create the impression that the property is occupied when you're out (a more modern approach to sequencing on-off lighting schedules uses internet-linked devices controlled by an App on your phone)
For tips about improving the security of you shed, garage and outbuilding, see here.
* If you inform your insurance company that you have an alarm and it is not switched on when you suffer a burglary, this may negatively affect your insurance cover.
** CCTV systems should only view your own property and not overlook neighbours' homes
There are several very good electricans based in Haddenham who would be happy to assist in improving the security of your home — see the SERVICES section of this website.
In the meantime, stay vigilant everyone.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We are saddened to bring news of the passing of Barbara Brant.This announcement from son and daughter-in-law Richard and Linda:We'd like to announce the death of Barbara Brant on 12th February 2020.Barbara lived in Haddenham for over 45 years with her husband, Colin, in Churchway. She was a pivotal member of the local community and had many friends here.Her Funeral Service will be...
New Local Walking and Cycling Routes — The Buckinghamshire GreenwayA report kindly précised by Cynthia FloudThe 'Buckinghamshire Greenway' is a unique and emerging vision for a transformational walking and cycling route stretching from Milton Keynes and Brackley to Uxbridge and Heathrow Airport, forming the north-south spine of a future countywide walking and cycling network made...
AVDC recently rejected an application for Change of Use by the current owner of the Green Dragon, who was hoping to convert the building for use as a residential dwelling.The owner has now appealed that decision. Here's the official blurb if you would like to submit comments.TOWN & COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990APPEAL UNDER SECTION 78Site Address: The Green Dragon 8 Churchway Haddenham...