By Christina Jeffery - 30th July 2018 12:30pm
As mentioned previously, AVDC has announced the new road names that will used on the Dandara (Aston Road — Glebe) housing development.
Various possibilities were suggested by local residents and these included names based on such local links as:
- Former Vicars
- Church Seasons
- Farming strip names from 1820 map of village
- Original Residents of Willis Rd
- Local Wildlife & Tiggywinkles' work
- Local Flora
- WW1 Village Heroes
- Local Noteworthies -- conservationists, doctors, scoutmasters, woodcarvers, etc
- Recognition of the Saxon Burial Site
- Various Tongue-in-cheek Suggestions
A full list of the names submitted to AVDC by Haddenham Parish Council and residents of Haddenham can be seen on the PDF linked to this page.
Courtesy of Christina Jeffery, here is an explanation of the names that were eventually chosen:
Cricketers Way (near the proposed cricket pitches)
Thompson Mews (named after Sir Herbert Thompson, a fighter pilot in the First World War, also a churchwarden at St Mary's Church and the author of the first church guide book)
Nicholson Road (named after Reginald Nicholson, the youngest First World War casualty listed on the Haddenham war memorial)
Burch Mews (named after William Burch who led a driving horse team, which was used for pulling equipment. He was killed in action and is listed on the Haddenham war memorial)
Ivin Close (named after Annie Ivin to represent nurses in the First World War. She was decorated by the king in 1915)
Alderson Way (named after villager Diana Alderson MBE, conservationist, who was instrumental in getting trees planted on the south side of Aston Road — opposite the Dandara development — and at other sites in the village. She also did a lot of fundraising to save sensitive sites for the Bucks, Berks and Oxon Naturalists' Trust)
Rose Meadow (to commemorate Walter Rose, local carpenter and author of books about the village history)
Barn Owl Lane and Hedgehog Way (creatures rescued by the nearby Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital)
Paine Close (named after John Paine, one of the strip owners or occupiers)
Willoughby Lane (named after the Rev Willoughby Bertie who, as guardian of Miss Wykeham, was the notional Lord of the Manor in 1820)
Maslin Elms and Rookery Piece (named after furlongs on the 1820 field map of the village. There were trees on two sides of Maslin Elms)
Lapwing Mews and Skylark Close (remembering birds which inhabited the area).
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Staff on the Covid wards at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury have been thanked in the best way possible — with a welcome gift of two freezers that will enable them to grab some food during their busy shifts.Such are the pressures of working within the NHS at the moment, that staff are often unable to stop for meals and are using ice cubes as a way of staying hydrated during their busy...
Back in December 1993 the four Chrisitian churches (Anglican, Baptist, Catholic and Methodists) in the village of Haddenham held a special service during which a covenant (a set of promises) was established. It was a service that acknowledged our differences and celebrated the unique contribution brought by each tradition. But it was also a service that acknowledged that there was more that...
We have had a very busy and successful couple of days at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium Aylesbury Vaccination Centre. Most of our clinical team from Haddenham Medical Centre have been there at some point over this time both giving vaccines and in the really tricky work of vaccine preparation.The vaccines do not come prepared like flu jabs. There is an important, but painstaking, first stage of...