Snakemoor Nature Reserve
St Mary's Centre
By Alison Watt - 20th November 2018 9:30am
On Wednesday 14th November over 100 local residents attended a talk, hosted by the Village Society, on the Syrian Family Community Sponsorship Scheme.
Tim Finch, from Citizens UK, gave the background to this:
- the horrific civil war in Syria with the destruction we are all too familiar with
the huge numbers of refugees in neighbouring countries
- the Government commitment to allow 20,000 Syrians in to the country, and
- the initiative to try to meet that target — the Community Sponsorship Scheme, based on the successful Canadian scheme
We heard from two people (from London and Princes Risborough) who spoke of the experience of their communities with the scheme — the highs and lows; the difficulties and achievements.
So where are we in Haddenham?
A large group of supporters has met twice since July (and is about to meet a third time — on Tuesday 27th November, 7.30pm in the Baptist classroom). So far, much of the work has been about gaining support in the wider community and discussing how to build on a Haddenham tradition of supporting refugees dating back to WW1. People have been in contact with schools, with the Job Centre, looked in to the availability of English classes, and thinking of ways of fundraising, considering medical needs (physical and mental).
* We need to start a major fundraising campaign. We have to raise at least £4500 per adult — so £9000 for an average family;
* We need to find a suitable house at an affordable rent;
* We have to complete the paperwork for the Home Office;
* We need to identify a sponsor (this has to be a charity, and has legal responsibility, but would not be expected to raise the money).
If you are interested in finding out more, or joining us, please contact Alison Watt at email@example.com
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
New Local Walking and Cycling Routes — The Buckinghamshire GreenwayA report kindly précised by Cynthia FloudThe 'Buckinghamshire Greenway' is a unique and emerging vision for a transformational walking and cycling route stretching from Milton Keynes and Brackley to Uxbridge and Heathrow Airport, forming the north-south spine of a future countywide walking and cycling network made...
AVDC recently rejected an application for Change of Use by the current owner of the Green Dragon, who was hoping to convert the building for use as a residential dwelling.The owner has now appealed that decision. Here's the official blurb if you would like to submit comments.TOWN & COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990APPEAL UNDER SECTION 78Site Address: The Green Dragon 8 Churchway Haddenham...
The Haddenham Community Library is looking to introduce simple programming activities for youngsters, based on controlling fantastic little Ozobot robots!It's all very exciting and great fun. The library will be providing more details soon, but you can catch a glimpse by clicking...https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=OXnQFxBHvZQ&fbclid=IwAR1_d7QXn6Gb3JORJ...