Bernard Hall, Cuddington
Junior School Playing Field
By Alison Watt - 20th November 2018 9:30am
On Wednesday 14th November over 100 local residents attended a talk, hosted by the Village Society, on the Syrian Family Community Sponsorship Scheme.
Tim Finch, from Citizens UK, gave the background to this:
- the horrific civil war in Syria with the destruction we are all too familiar with
the huge numbers of refugees in neighbouring countries
- the Government commitment to allow 20,000 Syrians in to the country, and
- the initiative to try to meet that target — the Community Sponsorship Scheme, based on the successful Canadian scheme
We heard from two people (from London and Princes Risborough) who spoke of the experience of their communities with the scheme — the highs and lows; the difficulties and achievements.
So where are we in Haddenham?
A large group of supporters has met twice since July (and is about to meet a third time — on Tuesday 27th November, 7.30pm in the Baptist classroom). So far, much of the work has been about gaining support in the wider community and discussing how to build on a Haddenham tradition of supporting refugees dating back to WW1. People have been in contact with schools, with the Job Centre, looked in to the availability of English classes, and thinking of ways of fundraising, considering medical needs (physical and mental).
* We need to start a major fundraising campaign. We have to raise at least £4500 per adult — so £9000 for an average family;
* We need to find a suitable house at an affordable rent;
* We have to complete the paperwork for the Home Office;
* We need to identify a sponsor (this has to be a charity, and has legal responsibility, but would not be expected to raise the money).
If you are interested in finding out more, or joining us, please contact Alison Watt at email@example.com
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham Hustings — A SketchBy Kevin JohnsonNobody wanted a General Election. We're all tired of politics. Sick of Brexit.Not in Haddenham, apparently.The Hall of Haddenham Community Junior School was full to bursting with voters ready to grill all six candidates standing in the Buckingham constituency. You can watch the full Hustings recording https://www.y...
Here is a list of Christmas services in Haddenham churches:Churches Together in Haddenham Fri 13th Dec 7.00pm Village Carol Service in Village Hall Methodist Church Sun 15th Dec 10.15am JAM service with the Baptist Church Sun 22nd Dec 3.00pm Carol Service, followed by tea and mince pies Wed 25th Dec 9.30am Christmas Day Service with our Baptist friends at..
... by becoming a befriender.We all need a helping hand or listening ear — sometimes more so due to health, isolation or recovery following an operation. Local charity, Connection Support, are looking for volunteer befrienders to support their Prevention Matters clients to build a more fulfilling life in Buckinghamshire.Prevention Matters help adults regain confidence, maintain independence...