WRR in Village Hall
Church End Green
By Alan Thawley - 9th September 2021 3:00pm
I went to the excellent Speen Environmental Action Group presentation on low-carbon home heating the other day. Here are a few quick points for anyone in Haddenham looking to upgrade their home heating to something more environmentally friendly.
- The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), which covers pretty much all the cost of a heat pump, but over a period of seven years, is due to end in March, so anyone wanting to take advantage should hurry.
- Its replacement hasn't been confirmed yet, but is likely to be a less generous payment (around £4,000), although paid upfront
- The best way to find an installer is via the Microgeneration Certification Scheme. You should also check the company out thoroughly.
- Those with older houses shouldn't be put off — the idea that you have to completely upgrade your home's insulation is misleading. The issue is more about correctly specifying the system. We should all be doing what we can to insulate anyway though!
- The RHI will require a recent Energy Performance Certificate (less than 24 months old) and the level of payment you receive will depend on your EPC rating. So if you are improving the environmental performance of your home, you should have the EPC done first.
- A heat pump will dramatically cut your carbon footprint, but due to the higher cost of electricity over gas, you should expect your bills to stay more or less the same.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
On Monday 13th September the Coop stores in Haddenham, Bedgrove, and Walton Court in collaboration presented a £600 Community Donation cheque towards AHS Aylesbury High School's racing and engineering projects.AHS has an e-power racing car team that competes in theregional races including Kop Hill Soap Box this month in Princes Risborough.The students are in the process of...
The long-standing tradition of holding a church service in association with the annual feast fair will return this coming weekend.The Churches Together in Haddenham Feast Service will take place on the green outside St Mary's Church on Sunday 19th September at 5.00pmIt will be led by Rev Cassa Masservy.All...
Having rubbish removed? Don't pay cash!Many of us are quite accustomed to paying 'cash-in-hand' to have odd jobs done to the house or in the garden — but if you ever need to have rubbish removed, this is the one time you should never pay cash.Did you know that your rubbish is far more likely to end up fly-tipped if you pay someone cash to remove it? A bona fide waste carrier...