Youth & Community Centre
St Mary's Church
By Alan Thawley - 9th September 2021 3:00pm
I went to the excellent Speen Environmental Action Group presentation on low-carbon home heating the other day. Here are a few quick points for anyone in Haddenham looking to upgrade their home heating to something more environmentally friendly.
- The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), which covers pretty much all the cost of a heat pump, but over a period of seven years, is due to end in March, so anyone wanting to take advantage should hurry.
- Its replacement hasn't been confirmed yet, but is likely to be a less generous payment (around £4,000), although paid upfront
- The best way to find an installer is via the Microgeneration Certification Scheme. You should also check the company out thoroughly.
- Those with older houses shouldn't be put off — the idea that you have to completely upgrade your home's insulation is misleading. The issue is more about correctly specifying the system. We should all be doing what we can to insulate anyway though!
- The RHI will require a recent Energy Performance Certificate (less than 24 months old) and the level of payment you receive will depend on your EPC rating. So if you are improving the environmental performance of your home, you should have the EPC done first.
- A heat pump will dramatically cut your carbon footprint, but due to the higher cost of electricity over gas, you should expect your bills to stay more or less the same.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Last weekend Haddenham Baptist Church launched its Hat and Boots Restoration Appeal to raise funds for vital repairs to this unique witchert building. One week on, the Appeal has raised an incredible £7500! Baptist Minister Jonny Fillis said "I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who supported Ross and myself during our 90 mile Wychert Way walk, our Open Day and all our...
I'm delighted to say we'll be officially launching the Haddenham EV Hire Club on Saturday, 3rd December. You'll find our stall outside the Village Hall between 9am and 1pm, to coincide with the monthly Vale Harvest market. Come down and check out the car and we'll show you how easy it is to book, open and start, all via an app on your phone. You can sign up for free and...
Aylesbury Lions Club — Santa's visit to HaddenhamPlease note: the Lions Club always do their best to adhere to the published schedules but sometimes weather conditions or roadside parking constraints in the tighter areas of Haddenham mean that changes need to be made 'on the hoof'.Tuesday 29th NovemberWe are starting at the CO-OP, Pegasus Way at 6.00pmThe route will...