St Mary's Centre
St Mary's Church
By Haddenham Webteam - 17th September 2014 9:00pm
On Saturday 11th October Haddenham in Transition will be running its fourth great and glorious event "Homemade in Haddenham", greater and grander than ever. If you haven't visited in previous years, you are in for a treat at Haddenham's very own local foods and crafts festival.
The event will take place in and around the Village Hall from 10am — 2pm and there will be all sorts of stalls including:
- demonstrations of crafts and food making; learn a new skill to impress all your friends and family! Cider-making, bread-making, string bag-making, jewellery-making, a talk on running a smallholding sustainably... and others
- apple pressing — bring along your apples (or pears) — and bring containers to take away your juice
- bicycle repair workshop — bring your bike, learn how to fix it, maybe even get it fixed for you (if you're lucky...!)
- all sorts of locally made crafts and produce to buy, eat and admire
- refreshments — delicious homemade bread & soup lunches, cakes, tea, coffee
- a raffle of locally produced and created items donated by all the stallholders
- and, to make it all glitter under a golden glow, a bar selling local beer and cider
Any profits from the day will go towards trying to make our community stronger and more resilient — that is, we want to try to help our village to become as self-sustaining as possible. We want to make the best use of the brilliant resources we have here, making sure they don't go to waste and saving money and the environment into the bargain! Last year, for example, we bought pasteurising equipment which we loan out to individuals and groups along with our apple press. Now your glut of apples needn't go on the compost heap; you can make and pasteurise apple juice which will keep all year, and with the huge and healthy crop that is on the trees this year, that counts for quite a lot!
If you would like to be actively involved we are looking for volunteers — can you give an hour to help with refreshments, donate a homemade cake, bread or soup? Can you help with the apple pressing, setting up or clearing away? Would you like a table to show off the crafts or food you can produce? If so, please get in touch with Alison (291553) or Kirsten (291586)
Whatever happens, come for a great day out on Saturday 11th October, from 10am-2.00pm
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham & District Rotary Club is hosting another of its impressive 'Young Photographer Competitions',Run with support from Paul Wilkinson Photography.The subject theme for 2019 is "CLIMATE" (for all age groups)The competition offers a Prize Total of £400Entries must be delivered by noon 28th August 2019 to:Community Library (Haddenham)Pretty Like Pictures...
Organisers of the Townsend Community Orchard wish to offer special thanks to staff from Cosine (pictured) who joined the orchard work party on Friday 14th June.Good use was made of the new garden tools generously funded by the Haddenham Beer Festivals Trust. The orchard group are very pleased that, thanks to the Beer Festivals Trust, people who don't have access to garden tools can now...
The Haddenham Community Support Group for the Florence Nightingale Hospice Charity has organised an Open Gardens event on Sunday 23rd June.No less than 12 beautiful gardens will be available for visitors to enjoy, spread in a wide range of locations around the village in:Rudds LaneThame RoadFort EndTownsideThe CroftChurchwayChurch End (x2)Flint Street (x2)Long Walland the...