Bernard Hall, Cuddington
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 21st October 2022 7:00pm
Last week the children of Haddenham St Mary's abandoned the timetable for their specialist week 'festivals of light'. They have been learning about the following festivals:
- Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday
- Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday
- Hanukkah, a Jewish holiday
- Saint Lucy's Day, a Christian holiday
- Diwali, a religious festival associated with Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism
- Karthika Deepam, a post-Diwali Tamil festival associated with Hinduism
- Kartik Purnima, a post-Diwali religious festival associated with Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism
- Lantern Festival, a Chinese festival, originating in Buddhism, that marks the last day of the Lunar New Year or Spring Festival
- Tazaungdaing festival, a Buddhist festival marking the end of Kathina
The week had a 'grand finale' with the children being invited back for Haddenham St Mary's own festival of light. The children enjoyed glow painting, had their faces painted with glow paints, had mehndi patterns painted on their skin and toasted marshmallows round the firepit in the forest school.
Hot chocolate, burgers and hot dogs were on offer too!
The event finished with a lantern parade. Children had been making these lanterns all week.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Household recycling centres change to regular winter opening hoursFrom Sunday 1st October, all 10 of Buckinghamshire's Household Recycling Centres (HRCs) will switch over to the usual winter opening hours of 9am to 4pm.The days each centre is open will remain unchanged but the change in hours reflects the fact that as it gets closer to the clocks going back at the end of October and...
Aston Sandford Church — Harvest Festival DecorationsThis year the church at Aston Sandford is having a special event to open the building on the day before the Harvest Festival to give more people a chance to see the decorated church.This will be a unique opportunity for people in the neighbouring villages to view the little church whilst it is looking at its best. It will be...
Blooming Fruity is now community-owned!Haddenham's much-loved greengrocer, Blooming Fruity, has today been bought on behalf of the village by Haddenham Community Enterprise Limited, the community benefit society (CBS) established to take over the shop. The successful purchase is the fruit of nearly two years of hard work by a group of volunteers, and was made possible by a successful...