Bernard Hall, Cuddington
Waddesdon Community Centre HP18 0LX
By Haddenham Webteam - 21st October 2022 7:00pm
Last week the children of Haddenham St Mary's abandoned the timetable for their specialist week 'festivals of light'. They have been learning about the following festivals:
- Eid al-Adha, a Muslim holiday
- Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday
- Hanukkah, a Jewish holiday
- Saint Lucy's Day, a Christian holiday
- Diwali, a religious festival associated with Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism
- Karthika Deepam, a post-Diwali Tamil festival associated with Hinduism
- Kartik Purnima, a post-Diwali religious festival associated with Hinduism, Sikhism, and Jainism
- Lantern Festival, a Chinese festival, originating in Buddhism, that marks the last day of the Lunar New Year or Spring Festival
- Tazaungdaing festival, a Buddhist festival marking the end of Kathina
The week had a 'grand finale' with the children being invited back for Haddenham St Mary's own festival of light. The children enjoyed glow painting, had their faces painted with glow paints, had mehndi patterns painted on their skin and toasted marshmallows round the firepit in the forest school.
Hot chocolate, burgers and hot dogs were on offer too!
The event finished with a lantern parade. Children had been making these lanterns all week.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Haddenham Fish Scheme celebrated its 50th Anniversary for all its current and previous volunteers with a tea Party held in the hall at Haddenham Community Infant School on Sunday 28th May.Leaders Jeanne Watt and Alison Green gave the large group of guests a potted history of the Scheme and some of the notable benefits that it has provided to the Haddenham community since its inception in...
Help is needed for our traditional village fete, which takes place on the afternoon of Saturday 10th June! So there are just over two weeks to go and we are looking forward to welcoming you the fete at Church End, Flint Street and on Manor Farm.One of the main aims of the Fete is to raise money for local good causes and organisations. Community events like this rely heavily on adult...
Tawny Owl retires from 3rd Haddenham Brownies and GuidingTawny OwlAnne MacKeller has retired from 3rd Haddenham Brownies and Guiding after 40 years.On Tuesday 23rd May the brownies, parents and leaders said a big thank you to Anne and presented her with a Girl Guiding Good service Award, a guiding vase and a bunch of flowers in recognition of her support and time given to Aylesbury Vale...