By Haddenham Webteam - 29th July 2013 7:30pm
Thames Valley Police continue to warn of thefts from sheds and garages in Aylesbury Vale, and would like to encourage residents to take more precautions.
They offer the following suggestions:
- Keep your shed in good condition
- Fit a closed shackle padlock to the door
- Fittings should be bolted through the door and screws concealed by the use of tamper proof screws or coach bolts
- Consider fitting a good quality pad bar
- Ensure all equipment and tools are locked away when not in use
- Install a shed alarm
- Post-code or mark all property such as lawnmowers, bikes, and tools using ultraviolet pens, forensic marking such as Selecta DNA, Smartwater, CREmark or engravers.
- Install security lighting as a deterrent
- Plants thorny shrubs to act as a barrier at potential access points
- Ensure ladders are locked to a secure fixture in the shed or garage so they can't be used to reach top floor windows
- Chain large items such as bicycles together, making it much more difficult for a thief to carry them away
- Fit a wire cage inside the shed where more expensive items can be locked away
No thief wants to hang about longer than strictly necessary, so anything you can do to increase the time it takes a burglar to access your tools and equipment will be an effective deterrent.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
There will be an Aylesbury Vale by-election for a District Councillor to represent Haddenham & Stone on Thursday, 7th March. Haddenham Village Society has organised hustings, at which the candidates will present their case, on Wednesday 27th February in the Haddenham Community Library, commencing at 8.00pm. All four candidates have confirmed their participation; they will make short speeches...
A new introductory four-morning garden design course, studying the key principles of garden design in the acclaimed setting of Turn End house and garden, has been added to the Trust's event programme.It will be led by garden designer Deborah Lewis and held over four mornings ((10.00am-12.30pm) on the following dates: Tuesday 14th MayTuesday 21st MayTuesday 4th June and Tuesday 11th...
Here's the latest communication from the Green Phoenix Team, the group seeking to purchase the Green Dragon on behalf of the Haddenham community.Legal WorkA great deal of work on both the legal and financial side of things is happening behind the scenes. This is clearly vital to move the community project forward. We hope to have some information and documentation to share with you in...