Foyer of VH
By Haddenham Webteam - 29th July 2013 7:30pm
Thames Valley Police continue to warn of thefts from sheds and garages in Aylesbury Vale, and would like to encourage residents to take more precautions.
They offer the following suggestions:
- Keep your shed in good condition
- Fit a closed shackle padlock to the door
- Fittings should be bolted through the door and screws concealed by the use of tamper proof screws or coach bolts
- Consider fitting a good quality pad bar
- Ensure all equipment and tools are locked away when not in use
- Install a shed alarm
- Post-code or mark all property such as lawnmowers, bikes, and tools using ultraviolet pens, forensic marking such as Selecta DNA, Smartwater, CREmark or engravers.
- Install security lighting as a deterrent
- Plants thorny shrubs to act as a barrier at potential access points
- Ensure ladders are locked to a secure fixture in the shed or garage so they can't be used to reach top floor windows
- Chain large items such as bicycles together, making it much more difficult for a thief to carry them away
- Fit a wire cage inside the shed where more expensive items can be locked away
No thief wants to hang about longer than strictly necessary, so anything you can do to increase the time it takes a burglar to access your tools and equipment will be an effective deterrent.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Here is the latest update from the new unitary council for Buckinghamshire, dated 02 April 2020Dear Resident,We have now become one new council, Buckinghamshire Council, providing all council services in Buckinghamshire, to all of our residents, as one team.This change has come at an incredibly testing time but I am so proud of how our teams have risen to the challenge. We are working...
Here is a list of local suppliers — what they deliver and how to order(With grateful thanks to Nick & Liz Lock)Simply open the PDF to...
I understand that this is a difficult and worrying time for a lot people as we all make significant adjustments to our daily lives to follow the measures set out by the government. These measures have been put in place to stop the spread of Coronavirus, protect the NHS and save lives and I thank the vast majority of people in Aylesbury Vale who are following the requirements.You will be aware...