By Haddenham Webteam - 27th November 2018 8:00am
Last weekend (24th and 25th November) the Haddenham Museum Trust celebrated the opening of the village museum to the public twenty years ago with a series of talks and displays held in the Methodist church.
The programme included:
* Information on WW1
* The Launch of 'The Haddenham Chronicles' Number 16 by Bruce Alexander
* A traditional slide show on 'Old Haddenham' from Michael Whitney
* An Illustrated Talk on 'The Buckinghamshire Railways' by Julian Hunt
* Reading tables full of albums, newspaper cuttings and books related to Haddenham local history.
* A display of lace-making by two Oxford-based Isis Lacemakers; a lace-making demonstration by Christine Lardner with illustrated talk by Elizabeth Oliver
* An illustrated talk on 'Amy Johnson was here' by Alan Rose
* A screening of the Museum's 10th Anniversary Celebrations
* An illustrated talk on 'All the Haddenham Railway Stations' by Peter Gulland
* Music from the Haddenham Handbell Ringers
* A closing service led by Rev Helen Kirk with organist Heather Woods and the Witchert
Another highlight over the weekend was the delicious Kattern cake, served with the teas and coffees.
Highlighting this, Alan Rose gave a talk on 'Kattern Eve, Mummers, Cattern Cake & Lace' followed by a performance by the Haddenham Mummers, on the old traditional date of Kattern Eve — 24th November.
Many thanks are due to the museum's committee and all the volunteers who devote their precious time in staffing the museum.
Pictured are photographs of local history aficionados Alan Rose and Bruce Alexander. Apparently they were taken 20 years apart — but surely not? Spot the difference ...
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We are pleased to report that the Aylesbury Vaccination Hub at Stoke Mandeville Stadium has had a very successful start over the weekend. Our team has been active with almost every single doctor and nurse involved in jabbing over the weekend, with great support from our admin team and Ellen Solley, our Practice Manager.Which vaccines are currently available?The Pfizer BioNTech vaccine...
If you are hoping to be early in the queue for a Covid vacination, here is a helpful 'walk-through' video to help you understand the process before you get to the Vaccination Centre.It shows you what to expect when you are booked in for your Covid vaccine at the Stoke Mandceville Stadium and gives an outline of the process from start to finish. You can access it by clicking on this...
Interested in discounted solar panels? The Solar Streets project has been extended to Haddenham residents and businesses.Zero Carbon Haddenham are hosting a Solar Streets Q&A session Zoom on Thu 21st Jan 2021, 7.30-8.30pm.To register for the meeting and find out more information, click here: https://solarstreets.co.uk/haddenham.11(https://solarstree...