St Mary's Centre
St Mary's Church
By Haddenham Webteam - 27th November 2018 8:00am
Last weekend (24th and 25th November) the Haddenham Museum Trust celebrated the opening of the village museum to the public twenty years ago with a series of talks and displays held in the Methodist church.
The programme included:
* Information on WW1
* The Launch of 'The Haddenham Chronicles' Number 16 by Bruce Alexander
* A traditional slide show on 'Old Haddenham' from Michael Whitney
* An Illustrated Talk on 'The Buckinghamshire Railways' by Julian Hunt
* Reading tables full of albums, newspaper cuttings and books related to Haddenham local history.
* A display of lace-making by two Oxford-based Isis Lacemakers; a lace-making demonstration by Christine Lardner with illustrated talk by Elizabeth Oliver
* An illustrated talk on 'Amy Johnson was here' by Alan Rose
* A screening of the Museum's 10th Anniversary Celebrations
* An illustrated talk on 'All the Haddenham Railway Stations' by Peter Gulland
* Music from the Haddenham Handbell Ringers
* A closing service led by Rev Helen Kirk with organist Heather Woods and the Witchert
Another highlight over the weekend was the delicious Kattern cake, served with the teas and coffees.
Highlighting this, Alan Rose gave a talk on 'Kattern Eve, Mummers, Cattern Cake & Lace' followed by a performance by the Haddenham Mummers, on the old traditional date of Kattern Eve — 24th November.
Many thanks are due to the museum's committee and all the volunteers who devote their precious time in staffing the museum.
Pictured are photographs of local history aficionados Alan Rose and Bruce Alexander. Apparently they were taken 20 years apart — but surely not? Spot the difference ...
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Medical CentreHaddenham Medical Centre will be offering Flu jabs as usual this Autumn, with its main clinic being held on Saturday 19th October 2019. Flu clinics will also be bookable online.Other clinics at the Medical Centre will be held at various times to offer a variety of choice — please enquire at Reception.PharmacyOnce again, JMW Vicary pharmacy will also be offering Flu...
Haddenham Community Infant School is hosting Open Days for prospective parents (entry September 2020) on the following dates:Thursday 17th OctoberTuesday 26th NovemberThese begin at 9.30am on both days, when the headteacher, staff and governors will be on hand to answer any questions.If you would like to visit the school please telephone the school office to book a place, on 01844...
On behalf of the Haddenham Horticultural Society, Gay Jordan writes:We were delighted to see an increase in the number of exhibitors entering the open classes at the show (80 individuals compared with 2018's 63 and 2017's 72). Moreover, unlike last year, very few of those only went in for one or two classes, so the overall number of classes entered was well up at 579. Most classes...