St Mary's Centre
Walter Rose Room
By Haddenham Webteam - 27th November 2018 8:00am
Last weekend (24th and 25th November) the Haddenham Museum Trust celebrated the opening of the village museum to the public twenty years ago with a series of talks and displays held in the Methodist church.
The programme included:
* Information on WW1
* The Launch of 'The Haddenham Chronicles' Number 16 by Bruce Alexander
* A traditional slide show on 'Old Haddenham' from Michael Whitney
* An Illustrated Talk on 'The Buckinghamshire Railways' by Julian Hunt
* Reading tables full of albums, newspaper cuttings and books related to Haddenham local history.
* A display of lace-making by two Oxford-based Isis Lacemakers; a lace-making demonstration by Christine Lardner with illustrated talk by Elizabeth Oliver
* An illustrated talk on 'Amy Johnson was here' by Alan Rose
* A screening of the Museum's 10th Anniversary Celebrations
* An illustrated talk on 'All the Haddenham Railway Stations' by Peter Gulland
* Music from the Haddenham Handbell Ringers
* A closing service led by Rev Helen Kirk with organist Heather Woods and the Witchert
Another highlight over the weekend was the delicious Kattern cake, served with the teas and coffees.
Highlighting this, Alan Rose gave a talk on 'Kattern Eve, Mummers, Cattern Cake & Lace' followed by a performance by the Haddenham Mummers, on the old traditional date of Kattern Eve — 24th November.
Many thanks are due to the museum's committee and all the volunteers who devote their precious time in staffing the museum.
Pictured are photographs of local history aficionados Alan Rose and Bruce Alexander. Apparently they were taken 20 years apart — but surely not? Spot the difference ...
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
A new introductory four-morning garden design course, studying the key principles of garden design in the acclaimed setting of Turn End house and garden, has been added to the Trust's event programme.It will be led by garden designer Deborah Lewis and held over four mornings ((10.00am-12.30pm) on the following dates: Tuesday 14th MayTuesday 21st MayTuesday 4th June and Tuesday 11th...
Here's the latest communication from the Green Phoenix Team, the group seeking to purchase the Green Dragon on behalf of the Haddenham community.Legal WorkA great deal of work on both the legal and financial side of things is happening behind the scenes. This is clearly vital to move the community project forward. We hope to have some information and documentation to share with you in...
The candidates for the Haddenham and Stone by-election, to be held in a month, have been announced.The by-election takes place on Thursday 7th March with polls open from 7am to 10pm.The by-election was called following the passing of Michael Edmonds.Candidates for the by-election are as follows:Mark Bale (Conservative)Jim Brown (Liberal Democrat)David Lyons (Green Party)Jennifer...