St Mary's Centre
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Don't let airport scanners ruin your holidayIf you're travelling by air for a holiday or business trip and need to take a medical device with you, there is a new way to prevent them getting damaged at airport scanners. Getting a Medical Device Awareness Card before you fly could help you keep them safe.Medical devices such as insulin pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) systems...
Join Thames Valley Police (TVP) at their Open Day on Saturday 10th August at the TVP training centre in Sulhamstead, between 10am and 4pm.The Roads Policing Unit, Forensic Investigations Unit, Contact Management team and Specialist Operations team are just a handful of over 50 exhibitors who will be attending to showcase their work.Highlights include:Displays from our dogs section, our...
In April 2104 David Lindsey started the Haddenham Tyrefighters Weight Loss Group. Having spent a lifetime fighting his overweight condition, which at one time nearly cost him his career as an RAF transport pilot, years of reading and learning by trial and error resulted in a new lifestyle which took him down from 17 stones to his current 13 stones.It was this degree of success which lead him to...