Bernard Hall, Cuddington
Tickety Brew Café
St Mary's Centre
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Haddenham Village Fete — Saturday 8th June, 1.00pm — 4.30pmMake sure you get along to Haddenham Village Fete when it opens at 13.00 on Saturday 8th June as this year the occasion will start in spectacular fashion with a Hurricane Flypast scheduled for 13.10 (weather permitting of course!). This rare and historically important aircraft is one of only 12 Hawker Hurricanes still airworthy...
Christian Aid Week concluded on Saturday 18th May. If anyone has a Christian Aid envelope which wasn't collected, please would you drop it into No. 6 Long FurlongOr to any of the village churches, please. Thank you.Mary...
A number of local gardens will be open to visitors on the day of the traditional village fete once again this year — on Saturday 8th June.This year six gardens will be open, at:16 Church End (David and Angela Truesdale)The Malthouse, 4 Church End (Chris and Mary Wellby)9 Church End (Margaret Walshe)5 Flint Street (Ros Welch)15 Flint Street (Roderick and Cynthia Floud)Manor Farm...