By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Please don't ask to address the planning meeting!We have been notified by Bucks Council that the 'Change of Use' application for the Rose & Thistle pub will be considered by Central Buckinghamshire Area Planning Committee at its meeting, starting at 2.30pm on 6th March 2024 in The Oculus at The Gateway, Gatehouse Road, Aylesbury, HP19 8FF.The agenda is ht...
Sarah & Jade will be trekking for 10 days in Nepal in April. The 70 mile Himalayan route starts and ends in Pokara and includes the Annapurna Base Camp at 4130m. We are covering all our own costs. All donations received will go to Storehouse Food Bank.If you do not worry about the cost of your shopping trolley or how you will pay your utility bills this month, please consider donating via...
Friday 1st March, 7.00pm at the Catholic ChurchThe Christian Women of Palestine are calling us to connect with the land from where Jesus came; where he was born, ministered and died — and from where our faith began and is rooted. Despite living in an area of the world where there is ongoing conflict and the future is uncertain, the women of Palestine are sharing with love a reminder that...