Church End War Memorial
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Applications are open for grants from the Haddenham Educational Charity. The charity provides small grants to support residents of Haddenham who need help with the costs associated with education. All forms of study, from Reception to Post Graduate, will be considered, including arts, sports and apprenticeships.The Old British School was a charity, with a deed of 1851, the original deed being...
Zero Carbon Haddenham have an apple press, 'scratter' and pastueriser available for loan in return for a donation to their work. For many years the press has been much in demand between August, September and October as local residents borrow it to press their home-grown apples for cider or juice making. Please visit the website at https://zeroch.org/applepress for more details or to...
This is to alert our customers to the fact that as from Tuesday 11th August anyone visiting the library will need to wear a face covering unless they have a legitimate reason not to do so. Libraries are included in the Government guidance making the wearing of face coverings in public indoor spaces mandatory. Staff will be on the door to remind visitors of the requirement to wear a face...