Most of Haddenham
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Good news for Pedestrians and Cyclists?We will be safer walking and cycling in Haddenham, when we have all learnt the new Highway Code. National press reports say that 'Changes to the Highway Code, including putting pedestrians at the top of a new "road user hierarchy", have been proposed by the UK transport secretary.The proposed changes, which are due to receive...
The walk-in vaccination clinics at the Guttmann Centre in Stoke Mandeville Stadium have been extended once again — rather than conclude at the end of July they will now continue until 16th August.This means anyone who needs a first or second dose of the Pfizer vaccine (people aged 18+) can simply turn up to the centre without booking.Vaccines are available every day from 9.30am to 7pm. Please...
Haddenham resident and prolific author, Martin Andrew, has just published another book. Read all about it here.Fans of CS Forester's novels — especially Flying Colours — and Ioan Gruffudd's portrayal of Horatio Hornblower will be in their element with this engaging true-life tale of a jaunt down the rivers Severn and Loire, the first a trial run and the latter a re-enactment of...