St Mary's Centre
St Mary's Church
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Medical CentreHaddenham Medical Centre will be offering Flu jabs as usual this Autumn, with its main clinic being held on Saturday 19th October 2019. Flu clinics will also be bookable online.Other clinics at the Medical Centre will be held at various times to offer a variety of choice — please enquire at Reception.PharmacyOnce again, JMW Vicary pharmacy will also be offering Flu...
Haddenham Community Infant School is hosting Open Days for prospective parents (entry September 2020) on the following dates:Thursday 17th OctoberTuesday 26th NovemberThese begin at 9.30am on both days, when the headteacher, staff and governors will be on hand to answer any questions.If you would like to visit the school please telephone the school office to book a place, on 01844...
On behalf of the Haddenham Horticultural Society, Gay Jordan writes:We were delighted to see an increase in the number of exhibitors entering the open classes at the show (80 individuals compared with 2018's 63 and 2017's 72). Moreover, unlike last year, very few of those only went in for one or two classes, so the overall number of classes entered was well up at 579. Most classes...