St Mary's Church
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 18th July 2014 9:00pm
Our local electricity distribution company, UK Power Networks, has been notified of a severe weather warning from the Met Office with heavy rain, thunderstorms and lightning forecast to hit the East of England, South East of England and the London area tonight (Friday) and over Saturday 19th July.
Preparing for a power cut
Below is some advice on how householders can prepare for potential power cuts:
- Keep the UK Power Networks freephone number handy (0800 783 8866)
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches — local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won't work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
On Monday morning 2nd October a short ribbon-cutting ceremony was conducted to mark officially the transfer of Blooming Fruity into community ownership. Greg Smith, chairman of the new community benefit society, wielded the scissors, alongside the shop team of Rebecca, Sandra, Cherry and Debbie, as well as former owner Sally, who is staying on temporarily to help with the transition.New...
Zero tolerance' approach to roadworks breachesThis year we've seen a record number of permit requests from utility firms — such as gas, water, electricity or communication companies — who want to access their infrastructure for repairs or improvement works. We know too that these works cause major disruption to road users across the county.Utility firms have a right to install and...