Most of Haddenham
By Haddenham Webteam - 21st August 2017 5:00pm
As we move towards the Autumn, the medical authorities are offering flu vaccinations once again.
These are free of charge to anyone qualifiying according to one of the following criteria:
* 65 and overs and the flu jab
You are eligible for the flu vaccine this year (2017-18) if you will be aged 65 and over on March 31 2018 — that is, you were born on or before March 31 1953. So, if you are currently 64 but will be 65 on March 31 2018, you do qualify.
* Anyone with a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma (which requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease or multiple sclerosis (MS)
- problems with your spleen — for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medication such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
* Pregnant — if you're pregnant, you're advised to have the injectable flu vaccine, regardless of the stage of pregnancy you've reached.
If you receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill.
Haddenham Medical Centre is offering flu clinics:
- Saturday 16 September — clinics also bookable online
- Every Weekday from 18 September onwards with our nursing team — appointments also bookable online
- Saturday 30 September — clinics also bookable online
Alternative Options at the Pharmacy
If you don't qualify for a free vaccination, you can drop into JMW Vicary pharmacy, attached to the medical centre where, from 18th September, they can offer you a flu jab for £10.
They can also provide free flu jabs to those qualifying according to the list above.
For more information, call the pharmacy on 01844 291960
Flu Vaccination for Children
There will be a flu clinic at the medical cenre for eligible Children in October dates to be confirmed once the Haddenham Practice has supply dates confirmed.
Some children will receive their vaccinations at school. See further information on the Haddenham Medical Centre website: www.haddenham.org