St Mary's Church
Hartwell Nurseries HP17 8RZ
St Mary's Church
Church End Green
By Haddenham Webteam - 25th October 2021 5:30pm
A group of a dozen volunteers made themselves available on Saturday 23rd October to help maintain Snakemoor nature reserve.
Volunteer Manager Julian Watson summarised the achievements as follows:
- 15 replacement bird boxes were installed across the reserve. These will be monitored from early spring to track which species take up residence;
- Approximately 2 tonnes of wood chippings have been spread to reinforce the perimeter footpath. This will make a great improvement for visitors over the winter months;
- Hedge saplings have been planted at the edge of the access driveway, filling in some of the gaps along the western boundary;
- Safety pruning has been carried out throughout Snakemoor;
- The stream has been largely cleared of debris;
- Further pruning and seasonal maintenance of the orchard area has been done;
- Several new saplings have been added to the eastern wooded area.
For those keen to assist at a future opportunity, Julian anticipates that the next next Working Group will be in early February 2022.
In the meantime, any volunteers wishing to carry out further ad hoc work can extend the path reinforcement work with woodchippings (located in obvious piles awaiting use), especially in areas that tend to become waterlogged.
Our grateful thanks to everyone who gives up free time and energy in helping to maintain this delightful public space.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Winterfest is happening this coming Saturday!The village is gearing up for another great party -- Winterfest 2023Saturday's day of fun is fast approaching, and we can't wait to welcome you to the event. There is a lot going on and you can check this out either on Facebook or via the website but, and there is always a but, we do need to share some safety and other do's and...
Road Closure AnnouncementHaddenham Winterfest is happening this Saturday (9th December) on the village green and so there will a road closure along Aston Road from each corner of the green between 10am and...
The 4th Haddenham Festive Trail opens today (Saturday 2nd December) when lights throughout the village will be switched on from 4pm onwards. A big thank you to all those who signed up for this year's Trail, which includes almost 40 displays. The online Trail Map is included on this webpage — see the PDF — plus a List of Displays, which includes details about the name and creator of...