By Haddenham Webteam - 13th June 2016 6:00pm
Do you have sons, daughters, relatives or friends currently studying at Uni? You may wish to draw the following to their attention.
Police are warning of a new phishing scam that has hit students of UK universities claiming that the student has been awarded an educational grant by the Department for Education. The email purports to have come from the finance department of the student's university and tricks the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.
One victim reported that after submitting their sensitive information (including name, address, date of birth, contact details, telephone provider, bank account details, student ID, National Insurance Number, driving licence number and mother's maiden name), they were taken to a spoofed website which appeared like a genuine website of their bank, where they were asked to type in their online banking login credentials.
- Do not click on any links or open attachments contained within unsolicited emails.
- Do not reply to scam emails or contact the senders in any way.
- If an email appears to have come from a person or organisation you know of but the message is unexpected or unusual, contact them directly via another method to confirm that they sent you the email.
- If you receive an email which asks you to login to an online account via a link provided in the email, instead of clicking on the link, open your browser and go directly to the company's website yourself.
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open.
If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should immediately contact your bank, and report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or visiting the ActionFraud website.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
There will be an Aylesbury Vale by-election for a District Councillor to represent Haddenham & Stone on Thursday, 7th March. Haddenham Village Society has organised hustings, at which the candidates will present their case, on Wednesday 27th February in the Haddenham Community Library, commencing at 8.00pm. All four candidates have confirmed their participation; they will make short speeches...
A new introductory four-morning garden design course, studying the key principles of garden design in the acclaimed setting of Turn End house and garden, has been added to the Trust's event programme.It will be led by garden designer Deborah Lewis and held over four mornings ((10.00am-12.30pm) on the following dates: Tuesday 14th MayTuesday 21st MayTuesday 4th June and Tuesday 11th...
Here's the latest communication from the Green Phoenix Team, the group seeking to purchase the Green Dragon on behalf of the Haddenham community.Legal WorkA great deal of work on both the legal and financial side of things is happening behind the scenes. This is clearly vital to move the community project forward. We hope to have some information and documentation to share with you in...