By Haddenham Webteam - 13th June 2016 6:00pm
Do you have sons, daughters, relatives or friends currently studying at Uni? You may wish to draw the following to their attention.
Police are warning of a new phishing scam that has hit students of UK universities claiming that the student has been awarded an educational grant by the Department for Education. The email purports to have come from the finance department of the student's university and tricks the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.
One victim reported that after submitting their sensitive information (including name, address, date of birth, contact details, telephone provider, bank account details, student ID, National Insurance Number, driving licence number and mother's maiden name), they were taken to a spoofed website which appeared like a genuine website of their bank, where they were asked to type in their online banking login credentials.
- Do not click on any links or open attachments contained within unsolicited emails.
- Do not reply to scam emails or contact the senders in any way.
- If an email appears to have come from a person or organisation you know of but the message is unexpected or unusual, contact them directly via another method to confirm that they sent you the email.
- If you receive an email which asks you to login to an online account via a link provided in the email, instead of clicking on the link, open your browser and go directly to the company's website yourself.
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open.
If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should immediately contact your bank, and report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or visiting the ActionFraud website.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
A group of local residents are running for our NHS to say thank you!They will be running a range of distances each, over a continuous 24 hour period.The team comprises 12 people (some pictured here — full team listed below) — essentially six couples. They are a group of friends who got to know one another through their children all knowing each other from the Junior school or other...
Andy Coles & Damien Natale; Damien Natale & Andy Coles. However you say it, it's not possible to rationalise the events of Monday evening when the two great friends, cyclists and Sportive organisers from Haddenham both died whilst doing something they so very much enjoyed. Whether they were raising money for charity, creating and putting on events for others or just ensuring their mates had...
Haddenham Scarecrow Festival Open Monday 1st to Sunday 14th JuneTHANK YOU to everyone who has entered this year's Haddenham Association of Scouts & Guides' Scarecrow Festival. We have had a fantastic response with a record breaking 127 entries from all over Haddenham!! Our previous average has been 58 entries, with the highest number in 2018 of 71. In these very challenging times...