St Mary's Centre
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 13th June 2016 6:00pm
Do you have sons, daughters, relatives or friends currently studying at Uni? You may wish to draw the following to their attention.
Police are warning of a new phishing scam that has hit students of UK universities claiming that the student has been awarded an educational grant by the Department for Education. The email purports to have come from the finance department of the student's university and tricks the recipient into clicking on a link contained in the message to provide personal and banking details.
One victim reported that after submitting their sensitive information (including name, address, date of birth, contact details, telephone provider, bank account details, student ID, National Insurance Number, driving licence number and mother's maiden name), they were taken to a spoofed website which appeared like a genuine website of their bank, where they were asked to type in their online banking login credentials.
- Do not click on any links or open attachments contained within unsolicited emails.
- Do not reply to scam emails or contact the senders in any way.
- If an email appears to have come from a person or organisation you know of but the message is unexpected or unusual, contact them directly via another method to confirm that they sent you the email.
- If you receive an email which asks you to login to an online account via a link provided in the email, instead of clicking on the link, open your browser and go directly to the company's website yourself.
- If you have clicked on a link in the email, do not supply any information on the website that may open.
If you think you may have compromised the safety of your bank details and/or have lost money due to fraudulent misuse of your cards, you should immediately contact your bank, and report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or visiting the ActionFraud website.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Buckinghamshire County Council is consulting on changes to early help services for children and families. It wants the views of Bucks residents on these proposals.In particular:The priorities for supporting families in need of assistance.The different options for an early help service and how BCC could best support vulnerable families, including the council's preferred option of a...
Followers of the Witchert Chorale have come to expect an evening of first class music with a mix of well-loved and recondite numbers delivered with the group's trade-mark humour and sparkle. Saturday's Christmas concert in St Mary's was no exception.It was to be an evening of Handel and his contemporaries, than which, with this group in that setting, a more delightful prospect...
The Oxfordshire Growth Board has recently published details of the infrastructure projects that are to receive funding in Year 1 and Years 2 — 5 of the Oxfordshire Housing & Growth Deal, signed in April 2018. The total £150 million of Growth Deal funding has been earmarked for specific projects.Why is this relevant to Haddenham?The Thame-Haddenham Cycle RouteThe Thame-Haddenham cycle...