St Mary's Church
Hartwell Nurseries HP17 8RZ
St Mary's Church
Church End Green
By Haddenham Webteam - 29th October 2013 4:30pm
Thames Valley Police have reported that a burglary from a barn took place in Churchway, Haddenham, between Monday 21st and Friday 25th October. Offenders unscrewed a lock and stole a generator.
Please remain vigilant and ensure that any suspicious activity is reported immediately to the Police. Where possible, obtain a description of any characters raising suspicion, along with details of any vehicle they may be using, especially the registration number.
PC Dean Kingham from the Waddesdon Neighbourhood Policing Team is the officer dealing with this crime. He would like to hear from anyone who might have seen or heard anything in relation to this offence. If you have any information please call PC Kingham via the 24 hour Police Enquiry Centre number 101.
If you don't want to speak to the Police or give your details you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or online via the Crimestoppers website.
Why not take this opportunity to review the security of your own outbuildings — especially now that the clocks have gone back, and periods of darkness are increasing. Key ingredients include the following:
Sheds & Barns
- Remember to lock your shed after use!
- Secure shed doors by fitting a strong hasp and staple (also called a 'padbar') — secured with coach bolts and lock the hasp over the staple with a closed shackle padlock
- Secure shed door hinges with coach bolts or non-returnable screws
- Replace any rotten door or window frames
- Replace broken glass panes or use perspex or polycarbonate as a more secure alternative for shed and garage windows
- Use a window lock along with a strong grille or wire mesh
- Use curtains or netting so people cannot see inside
- Screw windows shut if you do not use them
- Fit a good quality battery operated alarm to your outbuilding, or an alarmed (movement-activated) padlock
- Up-and-over garage doors can be secured by putting padlocks through the inside runners or fitting padlocks with a hasp and staple on either side of the door
- Fit British Standard approved locks to all your external garage doors including integral doors which access your house
- If you have a household alarm fitted, consider extending the system to cover your garage
- Chain items such as bicycles, ladders and lawnmowers to a strong anchor point or to each other and use a closed shackle padlock
- Property mark items such as drills and lawnmowers — items can be postcoded by etching, painting, stencilling, etc.
- Register your property at www.immobilise.com. This is a free web based property registration service supported by Thames Valley Police
Make sure your household insurance covers your shed or garage.