By Haddenham Webteam - 8th February 2016 2:00pm
Safer Internet Day 2016 takes place on Tuesday 9th February inviting everyone to 'Play your part for a better internet'.
Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre the day is designed to encourage organisations and individuals to get involved in helping to promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.
The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology and to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community. It calls upon young people, parents, carers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers, and wider, to join together in helping to create a better internet.
Get involved to play your part!
Locally there is an online forum hosted by Thames Valley Police -- to register your interest, see here.
For more general information on this important topic, see here.
UK Safer Internet Centre
In addition to coordinating Safer Internet Day, the UK Safer Internet Centre delivers a wide range of activity to promote the safe and responsible use of technology:
* founded and operates an e-safety helpline for professionals working with children in the UK
* operates the UK's hotline for reporting online criminal content
* develops new educational resources for children, parents and carers and teachers to meet emerging trends in the fast-changing
* delivers education sessions for children, parents, carers, teachers and the wider children's workforce
* shapes policy at school, industry and government level, both in the UK and internationally, and facilitates youth panels to give young people a voice on these issues.
Haddenham Community Infant School
Our local community infant school is recognising the importance of online safety by including some key activities in lessons this week:
- Lessons in Yr1 and Yr2 based on Internet safety as well as running a 'be safe online' poster competition.
- Using Espresso resources in Year 2 and 'Hector's World' in Year 1 which emphasise Internet safety in children's terms and key points to remember.
- Yr2 children are also going to complete an online safety quiz on the Espresso website after they have watched a video about Internet safety.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
The Sixty Plus Club (formerly The Darby & Joan Club) had their first meeting at the Youth & Community Centre in September 1975, 'here we have settled happily & feel quite at home.' The last meeting we had at the Centre was on 19th February 2020.Sadly we must now leave the Centre as it is needed for the safe running of the Junior School because of the pandemic. I have been associated...
We are very sad to announce that the beer festival committee and trustees have made the very difficult decision to cancel this year's Winterfest. When we were forced to cancel Summerfest way back in March we were very hopeful that things would be more stable by now and allow us to hold our fantastic annual Christmas event, but times are still too uncertain. The recent tightening of lockdown...
Alison writes:"My Dad lives in Haddenham and is seriously ill. I need to visit from the USA and I'm therefore looking for short term accommodation.I'm living in Texas at the moment, but due to the urgency of my Dad's illness I have just booked flights from Texas to London and will arrive on Saturday morning 19th September. I need somewhere to stay for 4-6 weeks, ideally self...