Bernard Hall, Cuddington
St Mary's Church
By Haddenham Webteam - 8th February 2016 2:00pm
Safer Internet Day 2016 takes place on Tuesday 9th February inviting everyone to 'Play your part for a better internet'.
Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre the day is designed to encourage organisations and individuals to get involved in helping to promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.
The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology and to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community. It calls upon young people, parents, carers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers, and wider, to join together in helping to create a better internet.
Get involved to play your part!
Locally there is an online forum hosted by Thames Valley Police -- to register your interest, see here.
For more general information on this important topic, see here.
UK Safer Internet Centre
In addition to coordinating Safer Internet Day, the UK Safer Internet Centre delivers a wide range of activity to promote the safe and responsible use of technology:
* founded and operates an e-safety helpline for professionals working with children in the UK
* operates the UK's hotline for reporting online criminal content
* develops new educational resources for children, parents and carers and teachers to meet emerging trends in the fast-changing
* delivers education sessions for children, parents, carers, teachers and the wider children's workforce
* shapes policy at school, industry and government level, both in the UK and internationally, and facilitates youth panels to give young people a voice on these issues.
Haddenham Community Infant School
Our local community infant school is recognising the importance of online safety by including some key activities in lessons this week:
- Lessons in Yr1 and Yr2 based on Internet safety as well as running a 'be safe online' poster competition.
- Using Espresso resources in Year 2 and 'Hector's World' in Year 1 which emphasise Internet safety in children's terms and key points to remember.
- Yr2 children are also going to complete an online safety quiz on the Espresso website after they have watched a video about Internet safety.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Chiltern Railways has advised customers travelling on the weekend of the 19th and 20th of October that there will be engineering works taking place between London Marylebone and Bicester.As a result, the line will be closed at various points and all journeys on Chiltern Railways services will be affected.Some late-night trains on Friday 18th October will also be impacted, with the 00:20...
On Tuesday 12th November Haddenham resident and leading economic historian and author, Sir Roderick Floud, will be marking the publication of his book 'An Economic History of the English Garden' with an illustrated talk "Legacies of English Gardens: Lakes, Central Heating and the Shard."The technologies of dam-building, of central heating and of metal and glass buildings all...
Preparations are well underway for the Haddenham Winterfest on 14th December from 12 noon until 6pm. As always, we are looking for volunteers. We will need help to serve Beer, Lager, Cider, Mulled wine, Gin and Soft drinks. We will also need help Setting up on Thursday and Friday and of course, Clearing up on Sunday morning. If you're able to help out for a couple of hours, please...