Bernard Hall Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 8th February 2016 2:00pm
Safer Internet Day 2016 takes place on Tuesday 9th February inviting everyone to 'Play your part for a better internet'.
Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre the day is designed to encourage organisations and individuals to get involved in helping to promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.
The day offers the opportunity to highlight positive uses of technology and to explore the role we all play in helping to create a better and safer online community. It calls upon young people, parents, carers, teachers, social workers, law enforcement, companies, policymakers, and wider, to join together in helping to create a better internet.
Get involved to play your part!
Locally there is an online forum hosted by Thames Valley Police -- to register your interest, see here.
For more general information on this important topic, see here.
UK Safer Internet Centre
In addition to coordinating Safer Internet Day, the UK Safer Internet Centre delivers a wide range of activity to promote the safe and responsible use of technology:
* founded and operates an e-safety helpline for professionals working with children in the UK
* operates the UK's hotline for reporting online criminal content
* develops new educational resources for children, parents and carers and teachers to meet emerging trends in the fast-changing
* delivers education sessions for children, parents, carers, teachers and the wider children's workforce
* shapes policy at school, industry and government level, both in the UK and internationally, and facilitates youth panels to give young people a voice on these issues.
Haddenham Community Infant School
Our local community infant school is recognising the importance of online safety by including some key activities in lessons this week:
- Lessons in Yr1 and Yr2 based on Internet safety as well as running a 'be safe online' poster competition.
- Using Espresso resources in Year 2 and 'Hector's World' in Year 1 which emphasise Internet safety in children's terms and key points to remember.
- Yr2 children are also going to complete an online safety quiz on the Espresso website after they have watched a video about Internet safety.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
In case you missed the outcome of the recent local elections for a Buckinghamshire Councillor to represent the Bernwood contituency (of which Haddenham is a part), Sue Lewin (LibDem) was duly elected. LibDem 1158 30% Green 1030 34% Conservative 723 24% Labour 85 3% (Click on the graphic to view an enlarged...
Summerfest — what a fantastic event! Superbly organised by a very dedicated team of volunteers. Thank you to everyone involved. There are lots of photos to enjoy on the Haddenham dotNet Flickr site. (Please don't be put off if you see an overly complicated 'cookies' message — just scroll down to the bottom and click 'Accept All'). Here's the link:...
As part of the Carwithen Music Festival, there is a fascinating exhibition of the life and times of Doreen Cartwithen (born in Haddenham 100 years ago) in the studio of photographer Paul Wilkinson in High Street. It's open TODAY, Sunday 3rd July: 10.30am — 12noon and 3pm — 4.30pm. A steward will be present to act as a helpful guide to the fascinating displays. A "must...