Bernard Hall, Cuddington
Parts of Haddenham
By Thames Valley Police - 18th July 2018 8:00am
Some home security tips, offered by Thames Valley Police.
It's that time of year when many of us will be heading off on holiday.
Holiday periods increase the chances for opportunist burglars, so before you go please read these tips for keeping your home secure while your away:
- Check that you've double locked all your doors and windows and put keys away.
- If you have an alarm, make sure that you set it.
- Lock your garden gates with a good quality padlock and lock tools and ladders away.
- Use lights on timer switches and consider leaving a radio on, tuned into a talk station.
- Lights can also be purchased that imitate the flickering light of a TV.
- Install security lights at strategic locations around your property.
- Consider fitting CCTV cameras — the latest systems that can be monitored remotely on your phone or tablet
- Think about what you are advertising on social media. If you 'check-in' at an airport or other holiday destination, make sure it's not a public post — this information could be very useful to an opportunist criminal!
- Tell a trusted neighbour that you are going away and get them to check your home and move post away from the front door. Make sure they have your contact details in case of a problem. Maybe ask them to open and close your curtains.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to park on your drive and make sure that your bin is put out and then brought back in.
- Cancel the milk and papers if you have these delivered.
We hope that you enjoy your holidays and if you follow this advice it will greatly reduce the chances of an opportunist burglar visiting you while you're away!
For more crime prevention advice please visit the Thames Valley Police website
The Services section of this website lists local electricians who will be very happy to assist in the installation of security lighting and CCTV systems.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
From Tuesday 4th February the Haddenham Community Library will be opening 30 minutes later on a weekday morning.On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays the new opening time will be 9.30am. The slightly later opening time is to encourage people with young school children who are interested in volunteering in the library to be able to do so. Anyone interested in volunteering should contact...
The owner of Chiltern House, a commercial property located on Thame Road close to several other small commercial premises on the Thame side of Browns, has lodged an appeal challenging the AVDC decision to refuse re-development of the building as residential accommodation. An informal hearing will be held on Thursday 30th January in Aylesbury. Here's the official notification. Town &...
On Friday 31st January and Saturday 1st February, Haddenham Youth Theatre is presenting three productions at the Haddenham Community Junior School, one for each age group.Juniors: 'Smugglers' — absolutely no revenue avoidance... and is that rum or something a little more explosive?!Middle Group: 'Get Your Homework Done' — the imagination of a young writer brought to life...