By Thames Valley Police - 18th July 2018 8:00am
Some home security tips, offered by Thames Valley Police.
It's that time of year when many of us will be heading off on holiday.
Holiday periods increase the chances for opportunist burglars, so before you go please read these tips for keeping your home secure while your away:
- Check that you've double locked all your doors and windows and put keys away.
- If you have an alarm, make sure that you set it.
- Lock your garden gates with a good quality padlock and lock tools and ladders away.
- Use lights on timer switches and consider leaving a radio on, tuned into a talk station.
- Lights can also be purchased that imitate the flickering light of a TV.
- Install security lights at strategic locations around your property.
- Consider fitting CCTV cameras — the latest systems that can be monitored remotely on your phone or tablet
- Think about what you are advertising on social media. If you 'check-in' at an airport or other holiday destination, make sure it's not a public post — this information could be very useful to an opportunist criminal!
- Tell a trusted neighbour that you are going away and get them to check your home and move post away from the front door. Make sure they have your contact details in case of a problem. Maybe ask them to open and close your curtains.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to park on your drive and make sure that your bin is put out and then brought back in.
- Cancel the milk and papers if you have these delivered.
We hope that you enjoy your holidays and if you follow this advice it will greatly reduce the chances of an opportunist burglar visiting you while you're away!
For more crime prevention advice please visit the Thames Valley Police website
The Services section of this website lists local electricians who will be very happy to assist in the installation of security lighting and CCTV systems.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Puddleducks Pre-school will be showing two films for children aged under-6 at the Youth and Community Centre, Woodways, this Sunday (16th Dec) from 3.00pm-4.30pm Films on offer are: The Gruffalo's Child and Stick Man.There will also be craft activities, Christmas songs, and popcorn with a drink, which are included in the £3.50 entry fee per child (under-ones go in free). Wear your...
At the request of the President of Diabetes UK, Haddenham resident David Lindsey gave a thirty minute presentation on his work with Tyrefighters Weight Loss Group to the executive and members of Diabetes UK at the Aylesbury Canal Society's headquarters on the 6th December.The presentation covered the progress and development of the Group since its inception nearly five years ago and it...
This community website contains the published listings for several hundred clubs, societies, organisations and service providers in Haddenham.To maintain Haddenham.net as a major one-stop source for local information, we need to keep our records as up-to-date as we can and it would be an impossible job for the editor without the necessary updates. So we rely upon local organisers, elected...