Bradmoor Farm, Rear Car Park
St Mary's Church
By Thames Valley Police - 18th July 2018 8:00am
Some home security tips, offered by Thames Valley Police.
It's that time of year when many of us will be heading off on holiday.
Holiday periods increase the chances for opportunist burglars, so before you go please read these tips for keeping your home secure while your away:
- Check that you've double locked all your doors and windows and put keys away.
- If you have an alarm, make sure that you set it.
- Lock your garden gates with a good quality padlock and lock tools and ladders away.
- Use lights on timer switches and consider leaving a radio on, tuned into a talk station.
- Lights can also be purchased that imitate the flickering light of a TV.
- Install security lights at strategic locations around your property.
- Consider fitting CCTV cameras — the latest systems that can be monitored remotely on your phone or tablet
- Think about what you are advertising on social media. If you 'check-in' at an airport or other holiday destination, make sure it's not a public post — this information could be very useful to an opportunist criminal!
- Tell a trusted neighbour that you are going away and get them to check your home and move post away from the front door. Make sure they have your contact details in case of a problem. Maybe ask them to open and close your curtains.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to park on your drive and make sure that your bin is put out and then brought back in.
- Cancel the milk and papers if you have these delivered.
We hope that you enjoy your holidays and if you follow this advice it will greatly reduce the chances of an opportunist burglar visiting you while you're away!
For more crime prevention advice please visit the Thames Valley Police website
The Services section of this website lists local electricians who will be very happy to assist in the installation of security lighting and CCTV systems.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Yesterday. Saturday 19th June, was the last day of the GP-led COVID vaccination hub at Stoke Mandeville Stadium supported by Haddenham Medical Centre.It has been a wonderful experience to work with colleagues from practices across the Aylesbury Vale including many GPs and nurses who returned from retirement to help the vaccination effort.We have had inspirational leadership from Dr Sajid...
Haddenham Youth FC, a welcoming football club that aims to develop players in a fun and friendly environment, is currently looking for boys to join next season's under-11s team.Whilst the team has a healthy squad size, the move from 7-a-side to 9-a-side has opened up the opportunity for more boys to train and play. All standards are welcome, as long as the boys are able to train and play...
Announcement from the Haddenham Beer Festivals Trust:One of the toughest things for the festivals team about having to cancel them is knowing we are not able to raise funds for local good causes. We know that so many, particularly the smaller organisations, who don't have the resources to undertake the complex application process for national grants, rely on us to keep their ventures...