Haddenham

Electrical Fires - Safety Update

Home » News » Electrical Fires - Safety Update
Electrical Fire Safety
ESC logo

Advice from the Electrical Safety Council
Appliance misuse is the top cause of all fires in British homes and the number has increased by over a third since 2009. Millions of people are committing basic electric safety 'blunders' in the home without realising that they are exposing themselves to the risk of fire or electric shock. These include:

  • using the microwave as an additional surface and blocking air vents
  • leaving the tumble dryer running unattended or overnight
  • blocking air vents by failing to clean behind the fridge/freezer
  • overloading adaptor sockets
  • leaving electrical appliances on while unattended, only to be alerted by a burning smell

With a considerable increase in the number of higher risk appliances in homes over the last few years, we believe that there is a clear link between the lack of understanding about electrical dangers and the surge in 'blunder fires'.

Our simple tips will help you to stay safe in the home. Click on the links below for further information about home safety.

Top home safety tips

Five simple tips to help reduce electrical fires in the home:

  • Ensure you have adequte RCD protection in your fusebox
  • Ensure your home has a full periodic inspection and test from a registered electrician
  • Avoid using faulty or damaged electrical appliances, lighting and sockets. If you think there is a fault with your installation or appliance, stop using it immediately and ask a registered electrician for advice
  • Conduct a visual check of your home by downloading the ESC's free 'Home Electrical Safety Check' smartphone app
  • Visit the ESC's Facebook page for more tips

Local Help in Haddenham

For expert advice, without obligation, please contact one of the Part P qualified electricians based in Haddenham. You will find them list in our SERVICES section, under 'Building Trades'

popular recent storiesAlso in the news

A well-earned coffee break
Haddenham Webteam: Mon 25 Oct 5:30pm

A group of a dozen volunteers made themselves available on Saturday 23rd October to help maintain Snakemoor nature reserve.Volunteer Manager Julian Watson summarised the achievements as follows:15 replacement bird boxes were installed across the reserve. These will be monitored from early spring to track which species take up residence;Approximately 2 tonnes of wood chippings have been...

Youth & Community Centre
Haddenham Webteam: Mon 25 Oct 10:30am

The transfer of the lease for the Youth & Community Centre has been going through a rather protracted legal process for the last 18+ months, so that it can come under the control of the Junior School. This is unfortunate, given the modest number of good venues available for meetings and social gatherings in Haddenham. In the hope that this situation will be resolved soon, enquiries should be...

Vaccination Marshal 01
Haddenham Webteam: Thu 21 Oct 4:30pm

There was an unpleasant incident outside the Haddenham pharmacy on Tuesday when a man behaved aggressively towards the volunteer marshals.Writes Martin Andrew, Marshal Co-ordinator:"My shift leader had asked the man whether he had a mask as it was necessary for going into the pharmacy. He responded badly and said he would be reporting us (not sure to whom) and that we should have asked...