Haddenham Fire Station
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Electrical Safety Council - 28th September 2012 9:00am
Advice from the Electrical Safety Council
Appliance misuse is the top cause of all fires in British homes and the number has increased by over a third since 2009. Millions of people are committing basic electric safety 'blunders' in the home without realising that they are exposing themselves to the risk of fire or electric shock. These include:
- using the microwave as an additional surface and blocking air vents
- leaving the tumble dryer running unattended or overnight
- blocking air vents by failing to clean behind the fridge/freezer
- overloading adaptor sockets
- leaving electrical appliances on while unattended, only to be alerted by a burning smell
With a considerable increase in the number of higher risk appliances in homes over the last few years, we believe that there is a clear link between the lack of understanding about electrical dangers and the surge in 'blunder fires'.
Our simple tips will help you to stay safe in the home. Click on the links below for further information about home safety.
Top home safety tips
Five simple tips to help reduce electrical fires in the home:
- Ensure you have adequte RCD protection in your fusebox
- Ensure your home has a full periodic inspection and test from a registered electrician
- Avoid using faulty or damaged electrical appliances, lighting and sockets. If you think there is a fault with your installation or appliance, stop using it immediately and ask a registered electrician for advice
- Conduct a visual check of your home by downloading the ESC's free 'Home Electrical Safety Check' smartphone app
- Visit the ESC's Facebook page for more tips
Local Help in Haddenham
For expert advice, without obligation, please contact one of the Part P qualified electricians based in Haddenham. You will find them list in our SERVICES section, under 'Building Trades'
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
New Local Walking and Cycling Routes — The Buckinghamshire GreenwayA report kindly précised by Cynthia FloudThe 'Buckinghamshire Greenway' is a unique and emerging vision for a transformational walking and cycling route stretching from Milton Keynes and Brackley to Uxbridge and Heathrow Airport, forming the north-south spine of a future countywide walking and cycling network made...
AVDC recently rejected an application for Change of Use by the current owner of the Green Dragon, who was hoping to convert the building for use as a residential dwelling.The owner has now appealed that decision. Here's the official blurb if you would like to submit comments.TOWN & COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990APPEAL UNDER SECTION 78Site Address: The Green Dragon 8 Churchway Haddenham...
The Haddenham Community Library is looking to introduce simple programming activities for youngsters, based on controlling fantastic little Ozobot robots!It's all very exciting and great fun. The library will be providing more details soon, but you can catch a glimpse by clicking...https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=OXnQFxBHvZQ&fbclid=IwAR1_d7QXn6Gb3JORJ...