By Webteam + Robyn Thorogood - 29th January 2014 8:15am
Many ramblers and dog walkers take great pleasure in walking around Snakemoor, Haddenham's own local nature reserve. So they will be thankful that there is a team of volunteers who generously give up their time to help maintain the area, to keep the walkways safe and clear, and maintain the wellbeing of trees, shrubs and many varieties of plants and flowers.
On Tuesday 28th January the latest work party composed of Jim Joiner, Ros Hawarth, Jim Robinson, Ernie Pusey, David Rankin, John Wilson, Martin Bygate, Bill & Janet Piers, Michael Whitney and Robyn Thorogood attended and achieved the following:
- An orchard well pruned under the direction of Ernie
- Removal of a few large split and unsafe trees with David on chainsaw ... and big John Wayne, on xylophone?
- Removal of Elder trees to make space for and the planting of a new Elm*
- Planted a Douglas Fir
- Moved an apple trees from the shade of an Oak
- Trimmed back the entrance path and cleared many fallen branches to wood piles.
Given that the rain was about to dampen proceedings, Chris Thorogood served soup to those who returned to Dormer Cottage.
* Enie Pusey kindly purchased the new Elm for Snakemoor. This is a Morfeo Elm from Ashridge Nurseries. It is a new hybrid with strong resistance to Dutch Elm disease Similar to our native Ulmus minor. Produces foodplant for the (threatened) White-letter Hair-streak butterfly. It is planted just off the bank near the station end of the ditch.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
We are pleased to report that the Aylesbury Vaccination Hub at Stoke Mandeville Stadium has had a very successful start over the weekend. Our team has been active with almost every single doctor and nurse involved in jabbing over the weekend, with great support from our admin team and Ellen Solley, our Practice Manager.Which vaccines are currently available?The Pfizer BioNTech vaccine...
If you are hoping to be early in the queue for a Covid vacination, here is a helpful 'walk-through' video to help you understand the process before you get to the Vaccination Centre.It shows you what to expect when you are booked in for your Covid vaccine at the Stoke Mandceville Stadium and gives an outline of the process from start to finish. You can access it by clicking on this...
Interested in discounted solar panels? The Solar Streets project has been extended to Haddenham residents and businesses.Zero Carbon Haddenham are hosting a Solar Streets Q&A session Zoom on Thu 21st Jan 2021, 7.30-8.30pm.To register for the meeting and find out more information, click here: https://solarstreets.co.uk/haddenham.11(https://solarstree...