Bernard Hall, Cuddington
10A Thame Road, Haddenham
By Webteam + Robyn Thorogood - 29th January 2014 8:15am
Many ramblers and dog walkers take great pleasure in walking around Snakemoor, Haddenham's own local nature reserve. So they will be thankful that there is a team of volunteers who generously give up their time to help maintain the area, to keep the walkways safe and clear, and maintain the wellbeing of trees, shrubs and many varieties of plants and flowers.
On Tuesday 28th January the latest work party composed of Jim Joiner, Ros Hawarth, Jim Robinson, Ernie Pusey, David Rankin, John Wilson, Martin Bygate, Bill & Janet Piers, Michael Whitney and Robyn Thorogood attended and achieved the following:
- An orchard well pruned under the direction of Ernie
- Removal of a few large split and unsafe trees with David on chainsaw ... and big John Wayne, on xylophone?
- Removal of Elder trees to make space for and the planting of a new Elm*
- Planted a Douglas Fir
- Moved an apple trees from the shade of an Oak
- Trimmed back the entrance path and cleared many fallen branches to wood piles.
Given that the rain was about to dampen proceedings, Chris Thorogood served soup to those who returned to Dormer Cottage.
* Enie Pusey kindly purchased the new Elm for Snakemoor. This is a Morfeo Elm from Ashridge Nurseries. It is a new hybrid with strong resistance to Dutch Elm disease Similar to our native Ulmus minor. Produces foodplant for the (threatened) White-letter Hair-streak butterfly. It is planted just off the bank near the station end of the ditch.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Pharmacy needs your help to deliver Covid booster jabs in the villageJMW Vicary pharmacy urgently seeks 1 or 2 people either as paid part time employees (£9.50/hr) or as Volunteers to assist with reception and data input duties supporting the vaccination programme at the pharmacy.Two possible shifts: 9 — 1pm and/or 1.30 — 5.30pm. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are...
Your local Junior School needs your help! Firstly, the school team is looking for talented and skilled members of our local community to join our governing board.School GovernorsThe Governing Board at Haddenham Community Junior School is comprised of staff, parents and representatives of the local authority and our community.It is a friendly and hardworking team who work with me, the...
Dr Mark Howcutt has provided the latest update from Haddenham Medical Centre — Monday 20th September 2021Children's flu nose spray vaccineWe know that NHS England has sent letters to some parents asking them to contact their GP practice to book a flu nose spray vaccine for their young children. We are pleased to advise that we have had our first delivery of the children's flu...