River Trip: leaving HVH at 9.30am
via Gay Jordan
By Haddenham Webteam - 12th October 2016 11:00am
Here's a timely reminder from Thames Valley Police:
The evenings are already starting to draw in and the clocks go back on Sunday 30 October, meaning that many working people will be returning home after dark. Darker evenings may give burglars an opportunity to identify homes that are unoccupied. So here are a few thoughts you might like to consider to reduce the chance of your house being targeted:
- Ensure that the outside of your property is well lit after dark — modern LED security lights are cheap to run and reliable electricians in Haddenham can fit them at modest cost (see SERVICES listing for Haddenham-based electricians)
- Invest in a timer light switch and vary the time it comes on each day to make it look more natural. It can also be used with a radio or TV to give the impression that someone's home.
- Perhaps purchase a fake/simulated TV device which lights up a room like a real TV.
- Keep valuables out of sight and mark them with your house number and postcode using a UV pen, or consider buying a forensic property marking system.
- Register your valuables via immobilise.com and keep an inventory list. It's free and takes just a few minutes.
- If you have jewellery at home, photograph it for insurance purposes and consider storing it in a suitable safe.
- Lock your doors and windows, if you have a UPVC door make sure you have double locked it by lifting the handle and locking it with the key. Make sure the key is removed from the lock and out of reach.
- If you're going away over the half-term holiday, remember not to post details of your holiday on social networking websites, cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries and if you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is set before you leave.
Look out for your neighbours' houses, especially when they're not at home and call the police if you see anything suspicious on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Local teenage bands are being offered the opportunity to play before a live audience during the Feast Festival (Friday 20 September).Rock in the Village Hall is a unique event for Haddenham, reflecting the diversity of the village's cultural tastes. The event is headlined by 'Bad Solution', an Anglo-Polish hi-energy progressive metal band. But the event also provides a stage for...
ZKS Martial Arts are offering free taster sessions to youngsters who would like to explore the delights of martial arts.The classes take place at Haddenham St Mary's School.Register your children for a free trial and make the most of the free joining pack in September (worth up to £26)!! http://www.zksmartialarts.co.uk//?fbclid=IwAR3GdSsdYCfdJ-527xvKU5WYYLn4k5zp...
Who's the Shoutiest Person in Haddenham?!Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All villagers to gather at the Kings Head at 8pm on Thursday 22nd August, where the People will decide who will be the Feast Festival Crier.As a bit of fun for the Feast Festival, anyone with a loud voice is encouraged to enter the Crier competition being held at the Kings Head next Thursday evening. Anyone who wants to have a...