from Bradmoor Farm
Walter Rose Room, HVH
Walter Rose Room, HVH
Bernard Hall, Cuddington
By Haddenham Webteam - 12th October 2016 11:00am
Here's a timely reminder from Thames Valley Police:
The evenings are already starting to draw in and the clocks go back on Sunday 30 October, meaning that many working people will be returning home after dark. Darker evenings may give burglars an opportunity to identify homes that are unoccupied. So here are a few thoughts you might like to consider to reduce the chance of your house being targeted:
- Ensure that the outside of your property is well lit after dark — modern LED security lights are cheap to run and reliable electricians in Haddenham can fit them at modest cost (see SERVICES listing for Haddenham-based electricians)
- Invest in a timer light switch and vary the time it comes on each day to make it look more natural. It can also be used with a radio or TV to give the impression that someone's home.
- Perhaps purchase a fake/simulated TV device which lights up a room like a real TV.
- Keep valuables out of sight and mark them with your house number and postcode using a UV pen, or consider buying a forensic property marking system.
- Register your valuables via immobilise.com and keep an inventory list. It's free and takes just a few minutes.
- If you have jewellery at home, photograph it for insurance purposes and consider storing it in a suitable safe.
- Lock your doors and windows, if you have a UPVC door make sure you have double locked it by lifting the handle and locking it with the key. Make sure the key is removed from the lock and out of reach.
- If you're going away over the half-term holiday, remember not to post details of your holiday on social networking websites, cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries and if you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is set before you leave.
Look out for your neighbours' houses, especially when they're not at home and call the police if you see anything suspicious on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
popular recent storiesAlso in the news
Does Haddenham need a Community Greengrocer?Blooming Fruity has been for sale for almost a year. It's possible that when sold it will cease to trade as a greengrocer. Regular users of the shop are concerned about this. The current owner's preferred option is to sell commercially as an ongoing greengrocer business. However, if this is not possible we have been preparing a contingency...
Haddenham and Thame EV Hire Club UpdateUsage is steadily increasing on the cars, and we keep receiving great feedback from Haddenham and Thame residents. The key reason for this scheme is to reduce emissions and help create cleaner air. Zero Carbon Haddenham have been calculating the mileage of both cars to see the positive effects of car sharing and using electric:Carbon Saving (March...
Florence Nightingale Hospice Charity — Fundraising EventSpring really started for the Haddenham Community Support Group (HCSG) with the coffee morning and flower arranging demonstration last week and will gather pace with the next event our Spring Fashion Show and Afternoon Tea. This will again be held at the popular Bradmoor Farm Function Suite on Thursday 20th April commencing at...